Sunday, March 22, 2009

Quilt Crazy

I created this blog mainly to showcase some of my hobbies' creations.


I used to do beading and have created quite a few necklaces, mostly for myself and as gifts to family and friends. But since I've stopped working and thus the need for dressing up with accessories, I've all but given up making any new creations. Nonetheless, I'll endeavour to post up some pictures of my beading creations.


The current hobby I've started is stitching, patchwork and quilting. It first started as a little handmade project making a personalised pillow case for my husband's Christmas present. Then I got ambitious and started to think if this could be a business idea? I love the idea of personalised pillow cases, with names, special thots and dates of special occasions stitched onto the fabric.



Hand-stitched 'Merry' with a snow man and christmas tree made of felt




Hand-stitched 'Christmas' with a Santa's hat, gift and christmas stocking in felt








This idea soon evaporated when I realised it's quite tedious to do handstitching on a commercial basis without an embroidery machine. Guess I can only manage time to do small time projects for the people I love.


I can't remember how but my stitching and playing with felt fabric soon evolved into me reading up and learning about quilting. One thing leads to another and very soon, I found myself looking around and eventually buying my first sewing machine - a Brother XL-2230 for $169. I actually cannot believe that I'm suddenly into sewing! The last time I touched a sewing machine was when I was doing Home Economics in Secondary School and I don't remember I liked it that much.


With the machine, I started to create more craftworks. Some are still Work-in-progress, but here are some things that I've created so far:










A wall hanging "Love and Live Happy" for my parents' anniversary













Another wall hanging "Always Love You" for Valentine's Day












Playing around with quilt blocks design


1 comment:

  1. WOW! I am impressed, Eileen! Very beautiful pieces! Sure your loved ones will feel your love!!! Regards Christina

    ReplyDelete