Sunday, March 22, 2009

Lots of Love Quilt

Finally, after months of on-off patchwork sewing and tedious hand quilting, plus some help from my visiting mother, the quilt that was meant for my son is completed!



Lots of Love (60" x 48")



This is one of the earliest project I've started but it is not my first completed quilt. (More about the FIRST quilt later.) I was new to patchwork so I started experimenting with fat quarters, making small square blocks. I played around with different combinations and added more pink and blue blocks to make the centre quilt top. This piece was folded up and stashed away for a few months until I cut up a flannel bedsheet for its border.







Once the border was added, I started to add in some details. I appliqued big and small hearts into the squares and around the borders. After binding and quilting one round, I decided to hand-quilt the borders further to join all the hearts in a "wavey-dotted" manner. The stitching of the hearts were all done by my mother. (Thanks!)





Sweet Dreams Baby


I'm quite happy with the final look of the quilt. Thank God my lack of planning (not recommended) and last minute ideas did not turn out too bad. Its bright and bold colours makes this quilt very vibrant and cheerful. I have used 100% cotton batting and a flannel bedsheet as its backing, so I hope that it will also bring warmth to my son when he covers himself on cold nights. I hope he'll keep this quilt forever and remembers mummy's love to him always.

No comments:

Post a Comment