Wednesday, November 2, 2011

For Nephew

My sister's expecting a baby this December. Unfortunately, I won't be around to witness his arrival. Hopefully, I'll be able to say hello to my nephew when he's about 4 months old. 


Since I've started quilting and sewing, I've made quite a few quilts already for children. The first two for my two boys, of course. I just think they are one of the best gifts you can give to a child. Not only does the colourful quilts make their bed cheerful and keep them warm, the precious thought of something handmade personally for them will keep their souls warm and happy too when they grow up.


So this one's for you little fella. The quilt is made up of 2 patterns of 6" x 6" blocks. The design is simple but vibrant blue and orange tone gives it a Spring and happy mood. Hope you'll like this quilt and always remember your aunt in Australia.






Because I was into making toys at that time, I also made a little stuffed bunny from fabric scraps which carries a rather unusual backpack - a thermos flask. Bunny because the nephew will be born in the year of the Rabbit. As for the thermos flask, well, I found it a useful item when you have babies. In Melbourne, I notice most shopping centers have baby rooms with microwave ovens for mums to heat up baby food. However, in Singapore, such facilities were not very common. (Not sure if it has improved.) So I found that whenever I travel outside with baby, a thermos flask is very useful for bringing out hot water, either for mixing milk or heating up milk bottles/baby food. Baby can play with Bunny while mummy heats up the milk.








No comments:

Post a Comment